Saturday, September 27, 2014

How I create a scrapbook page

Hello, today I will share with you how I create a scrapbook page. I hope you find it helpful in creating your own pages..
  gather supplies such as glue stick , adhesive , scissors , cutting board. I have a scrapbook room so these things are always laying around.
  Pick Photos: I pick photos based on a theme or event, a thought or idea, or a moment I want to share that captures a detail about someone or something.
  I pick 1 to 4 photos per page. I decide if I'll use a single page or double page layout my pages are 12x12 but you can create many sizes. I use the "less is more" principle as my guide. As I go through my picture stash I often write down descriptive words and recollections of the stories so I can journal and add them to my page I put them to the side and go back to them later.
  Pick Papers: there is really no right or wrong way to use papers. Papers add color and depth and help highlight what it is you want to say in your layout. I often use eye colors , lip colors, skin color, clothes or even a bright toy or other item as my mat color. I look through many color choices and as I do I lay my pictures on them to help me see what colors make the picture brighter and what ones make them darker or bleached out. I almost always mat my photos it helps to frame the picture and adds a polished finishing touch to your pages. When I cant find a matching color that wins me over I use the old standbys cream, white, black, brown, navy blue, or blush pink. Again I almost always mat but since there are no rules I believe some photos do best when standing alone, its all about creating the spotlight to build around your picture helping viewers see what it is you want them to see. I usually don't measure out the mat size but 1/8"-1/2"is common.
 Patterned papers add many looks and can create great backgrounds I use them a lot they aid in building the story and create dimension and are fun. They can be used as backgrounds, trims, mats, cut out shapes, cut titles and so much more as an example a vintage pictured pattern paper can add to the picture of your grandmothers kitchen or mixing bowl when used as a background or trim. I take the time to go through my papers to find the best match. I hardly ever mat with patterned papers they drown out photos with the colors and patterns but under a mat as a double mat I do .  I identify the primary colors and secondary colors in my picture and use them to help me match the patterned papers to create the visual spotlight in my picture, I have a lot of fun with papers.
  Pick  Embellishments: I include lots of embellishments to build my pages, this is were the art is hard at work adding playful layers and dimension, they often say a lot about personality, a goldfish embellishment  is more childlike and playful then a clear velum fish tank blended into the background of a fish photo layout. Embellishments can be splattered inks, sequins, glitters, dollies, all types of fabrics even pieces of clothes and blankets, buttons, wooden pieces, plastics, cardboards, tapes, metals, velum's, and just about anything you find in the art stores lol not just in the scrapbook aisle but everywhere. Mine range from playful to simple, again there are no rules. Well maybe one: Using odd numbers of embellishments is better then even. ( I don't know why this is a rule it just is)
  Pick title squares and journal : I like to add 1, 3, or 5 items on my pages that I write descriptive words on, I don't often write out large journal stories but I like to pick a few sentences and either write them around my whole page , down the right side of my page going bottom to top or I add a paper or tag that I tuck under other things on the page, a page pocket is also a great way to journal, its a plastic bag type picture case that you can lift off the page and have your journal on the back.
  Build the page: Before I begin to glue anything down I arrange and rearrange my photos, papers and embellishments on the background paper work out my titles and where to place them and figure out my journaling . I add words and items making a path I want the viewer to follow to direct them to the picture as well as using the pictures them selves to lead the eyes in the right direction I want, a photo of a person looking left might go best on the right side of the page so it draws you to look left towards the center . I try to make it all flow. I use the artist guidelines : the center of the page attracts the eyes, overlapping photos and embellishments tie the items to a theme,. After I am happy with all the items placements I take a picture of it and remove it all, ink it if I am inking and begin gluing it all into place using my picture as my guide. I add any journaling that I want written on the page last then place it in my album and stand back and enjoy it. I hope this helps you make a page you can enjoy. Oh one last thing, when Ive made a page I am very proud of I get out my sketch notebook and draw the basics of it out in it so I can turn to it later as I make other pages.
Life is good, be happy. Paula


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...